We all want to learn at least one foreign language, especially when we happen to face more and more cases where we need something like that. Whether you read the specifications of a product, want to talk to someone foreign, use a computer, the internet, or want to travel abroad, you need to have at least a good command of a foreign language. We will present some methods to learn a foreign language more quickly or improve the use of a foreign language, while you have another activity in progress.
First, you have to decide on the reason why you want to know that language. Depending on this, you can know if you can focus on oral conversation, on the written side (if, for example, you have to write some documents) or on reading, if you want to document yourself or find information in that language. Second, to understand the grammar of a foreign language, you need to know the grammar of your native language well. It will be much easier for you to learn after you have made a short recap in this regard and you will find it much easier to find the corresponding word or you will better understand the logic of the expression. To learn faster, in addition to the classic methods of reading and writing hard, like at school, we recommend you to integrate in your life events, actions that involve the confrontation with the respective language, which can be relaxing, funny, and pleasant.
Here are some ways you can do this:
To improve oral conversation and reading:
- Watch movies, series, and documentaries with native subtitles. If you are a beginner, it is an excellent way to listen to and associate words, expressions with those in your native language, and when they are repeated, you will assimilate and recognize them much easier. At the same time, you relax and assimilate other information that may interest you.
- Talk to a person who is fluent in the foreign language, or even a native speaker. Even if you have a relative, friend, colleague or socialize on the internet, try to converse as much as possible
- Watch news and watch shows to match what you hear with what is shown in pictures, videos
- Listen to music in the respective language when you go to work, are in the car, do sports or cook. When you do a relaxing activity, your brain is more receptive to assimilating information.
- Go to the theater or events where that language is used if you can
To improve your writing:
- Watch movies, series, documentaries or videos with subtitles in that language. You can listen and view written words, expressions. If the movie is in another language or in your native language, use the subtitle also in the language you want to learn.
- Read books, articles, then find words you do not know. You will enrich your vocabulary significantly.
- Write emails, messages to other people or write down thoughts in a diary when you want to relax
- Change your communication language in various programs, applications that you use on your computer or phone. You will always come across words that you use frequently
- Find the lyrics of your favorite songs, you can also test your expression
- Read the package leaflet, the label, and the instructions on certain products. Be practical and improve your vocabulary. If you want to go to a country where you will use that language, this will be very useful
Through these methods, you can turn a need into a pleasant activity, full of new information, or simply relaxing. Whether you are learning a foreign language for pleasure or you have to do it, you can enrich your knowledge while doing something else. As extra recommendations, for those who have more time or are more diligent, we can also recommend the following methods for improving vocabulary:
- write down on a notebook words and expressions you didn’t know until now, every time you meet them; come back to them from time to time and reread them
- create tables or lists that contain words from the same domain, it will be useful to you if you want to discuss something specific or you are interested in certain domains
- when you learn a new word, try to integrate them into your life, say or write something about it
I hope that these recommendations were useful and that you will try to apply them when you learn a foreign language. It is all about enjoying your favorite activities while learning something new!